Become a Therapy Team
Briefly, the steps on how to become a therapy team with our organization are below. Details are in the team information packet.
- Read the team information packet and the core performance standards to see if you think this would be a good fit for you and your animal.
- Call our phone line (210-614-6734) or e-mail [email protected] to ask questions.
- Complete additional training with your animal in the community if needed to ensure readiness. PetSmart, Petco, The Palms, The San Antonio Dog Training Club and Pawsitive Solutions all have trainers who understand Therapy Team requirements, as do several area trainers. Generally, animals need to be well socialized, comfortable in a variety of settings and have the skills covered in a AKG Canine Good Citizen course.
- Join Therapy Animals of San Antonio and pay your $60 fee. The fee includes a one year membership, a training class for the individual, and a team evaluation during the membership period.
- Decide if you want your team registration to be Local or Pet Partners®. The differences between the two are detailed in the team information packet. Pet Partners® requires additional costs but those will be reimbursed to you by TASA ONCE you pass the Therapy Team Evaluation.
- Complete class requirements for the registration type (Local or Pet Partner®) and attend the scheduled TASA Orientation Class. There will be several classes throughout the year for each registration type. The dates will be put on our calendar a couple of months before the class (once we are able to engage post Covid restrictions).
- Have your veterinarian complete a health-screening exam on your animal. Complete the Therapy Team Registration packet.
- Attend and successfully complete a scheduled therapy team evaluation with your animal. There will be several evaluations throughout the year for each registration type. The evaluation is explained in the team training manual that will be available after you become a member. You may purchase a shirt for yourself and/or a Local vest for your dog to wear to your Therapy Animals activities at our office. Pet Partner® vests are available from their web sit.
- Visit at least two facilities with two experienced therapy teams. Your animal does not go with you. This will be explained in Orientation.
- Select and begin visiting a facility on our waiting list to visit regularly. We require a minimum of ten visits each year with a two year commitment. Submit visit reports on-line after each visit.
- Participate in organizational activities after joining.
- All members are expected to work during our Fiesta® Pooch Parade so place that date on your calendar now. This is our primary fund raiser and keeps your costs as a member and team down.